Hello

Thank you for looking at my blog. My latest passion is applique which I have been doing since 2015. I love making things and learning new crafts On this blog you will see some of the things I have been working on. You will also see wonderful items created by other people. When I am not crafting I enjoy being with family and friends, singing and family history. My favourite place in the whole world is anywhere by the sea and I have to get my fix every few weeks. My favourite colour is PURPLE but I love turquoise too!



Sunday, March 1, 2020

Coping with a large needle

I did a sashiko workshop while I was in Spain. Jill talked us through the history of sashiko and showed us some interesting samples. We were then given a sample to stitch. I struggled to make tiny stitches with a big needle and 8ply thread after using a beading needle and very fine thread. We stitched on the diagonal and then moved to the next line. We left loops of thread on the edges of the fabric on the back. This meant we could pull the stitches if our tension was too tight.
 
After a delicious lunch and chat we tried reverse applique. We drew some flower patterns on bondaweb and attached this to the back of our fabric. We then stitched on the bondaweb side  with small stitches and larger stitches on what would be the front of the fabric. A few of us struggled to get our heads around this, but it came eventually. 
 
We were given a choice of 4 kits and I choose the Iris one which included the pattern and the fabric. I didn't really enjoy the reverse sashiko but loved the classic geometric patterns. The Iris pattern will be winging its way to Madelaine and I have ordered a cushion kit. This will be my holiday project next year.  I LOVE trying new things.
 





 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment